DIY Tile Coasters

Print Friendly

A couple of weeks ago, I shared my DIY Sugar Hand Scrub which was one of the gifts I handmade for people this Christmas. Obviously, the guys weren’t going to like a pink hand scrub as a gift, so I came up with something else for them.

For them, I made a set of DIY tile coasters. These were perfect as you can make them for any personality!

DIY Tile Coasters

Here’s everything you need:

DIY Tile Coasters

• 4 x 4 Tiles
  • Mod Podge
  • A paint brush
  • Assorted scrapbook paper
  • Sheets of Felt
  • Clear Acrylic Sealer

The tiles I got from Home Depot and I chose these tiles that weren’t smooth all the way around, rather than the subway bathroom tiles because I liked the way they look. You could use either one. I got 10 for less than $5.00.

Some of them had holes in them, so I had to use caulk to fill them and let them sit over night. Just one thing to think about when you are selecting the tile you use.

Everything else is available at a craft store.

Step 1 is to cut your scrapbook paper and felt to fit your tile.

Because the tile is 4 x 4, I cut my paper and felt to about 3.25 x3.25 but you could do slightly larger or smaller if you wanted.  Just make sure your edges are straight because once these are sealed, there’s no changing them!

DIY Tile Coasters

Step 2 is to coat your tile with mod podge.

I did a thin even layer for this step.

DIY Tile Coasters

Step 3 is to lay your scrapbook paper on the tile.

Make sure you squeeze out any air bubbles and then allow the mod podge to dry for about 10 minutes or so.

DIY Tile Coasters

Step 4 is to then coat your tile, with the scrapbook paper on it with mod podge.

Once again, I did a thin even layer. You may have more air bubbles, so just squeeze them out. I found that it’s easier to squeeze the air bubbles out while the mod podge is still wet and then use my paint brush to make the layer or mod podge cover evenly again.

Optional: After this layer dries, you can do a 2nd layer of mod podge.

Step 5 is to spray the sealant on your completed tile.

I finished all my coasters and then sprayed them with the sealant in one go. I found it best to take them all outside and lay them on an old box. I actually tried spraying them inside because it was so cold outside but the fumes were too much.

I did coats of the sealant to make sure that no condensation from any glasses sitting on these would get through to the scrapbook paper.

Let your sealant dry completely before moving on to the next step.

I actually let mine dry overnight, not touching each other.

DIY Tile Coasters

Step 6 is to attach your felt to the bottom of your coasters.

I found it easiest to put a very thick layer of mod podge on the bottom of the coasters and then press the felt onto it firmly, allowing it to dry. I tried hot glue and the felt would come right off so finally, I just resigned myself to using heavy layers of mod podge.

When they were dry, I pulled on the corners to see if they would come up easily. If they did, I used more mod podge on that corner and let it dry.

DIY Tile Coasters

And you’re done!

I stacked mine on top of each other and tied them with a ribbon. Everyone that received them loved them! I don’t know how I’m going to top my handmade gifts this year!

Each set was pretty affordable, coming in at less than $5 per set of coasters!

What are your tile coasters going to look like?

This post is linked up these link ups. You should go check them out!

If you liked this post, be sure to check out my other easy DIY projects.

Paige Nicole

Paige Nicole

Registered Nurse/Blog Author and Editor at A Dose of Paige

Paige is a woman in her twenties born and raised in Tennessee. She works full time as a cardiac nurse in a busy hospital in the city. She’s married to a veteran named Cody and a dog mom to a german taco (aka a Chiweenie) named Exo. In her spare time, she loves to read, write, shop, craft and chat with friends.

Paige Nicole

@adoseofpaige

Cardiac Nurse. Wife. Dog Mom. Blogger. Writer. Beauty/Fashion obsessed

I posted today! All Day Makeup Routine with Neutrogena Products http://t.co/qPnOhQYjrJ – 57 mins ago

Paige Nicole

Paige Nicole

Latest posts by Paige Nicole (see all)

Comments

1. says

This is such a cool idea! I love DIY projects like this. Personalized gifts are always the best and I know many people who would love to receive these. I am going to add this to my project list!

• says

You don’t need to use porous tiles because the paper would then get ruined. The absolute crucial step is the acrylic sealant spray. That allows any condensation to just be wiped off the coaster without ruining the design!

2. says

I made some coasters for my in-laws using pictures from my brother-in-law’s wedding instead of scrapbook paper. They absolutely loved them. They show them off to everyone who comes in their house.

3. says

Oh I love these! I’m always trying to think of gifts for guys that I can make. These would even work well as a Valentine’s Day gift for my husband!

4. says

I’m so happy you shared this DIY Tile Coasters tutorial! I have been wanting to make some for our house, as our current ones are old and do not look very good. Ours would have some blue on them — my favorite color!

5. says

This is soo cool! I’m not sure if I would be able to make them myself because I don’t have a crafty bone in my body but I would love to try. Thanks for sharing.

6. says

I LOVE these! My husband would like them (he was in the US Navy) and he loves flags, eagles, etc. I think I will make him some for his birthday in March – he’ll be excited to have some new ones! The ones we have right now are pretty rough-looking!

7. says

Great post! I love making homemade coasters. They’re one of the few gifts I can make myself that I think people actually appreciate and use. I found you from the Hope Studios link up :)

8. aprila says

these are so neat and would make great gifts. Thanks for linking up at Tell Me About It Tuesday. We hope you hop over and share with us again next week.

9. says

I love this! Thanks for giving a step-by-step of how you did it. I was wondering what you were going to do to keep the condensation from ruining the paper. I’m glad to hear the sealant will do the trick even if the fumes are horrible. With all the super cool scrapbook papers that are on the market these days, you could make all kinds of different coasters. In fact, I think I have some tiles in my basement leftover from when we did our kitchen… Hmm… I’ll have to remember this idea when I need to make gifts for friends.

10. says

I’ve been wanting coasters for my office but haven’t found any that I like–or the ones that I liked I didn’t want to take to the office :) You’ve inspired me to make them! Perfect solution for me! Thanks!

11. says

These are really cute! I have to try making coasters with my kids!

Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

12. S Green says

Question- does a hot coffee cup stick on these at all? I made some and sealed with spray sealer from another tutorial and they get sticky when hot cups sit on them. Just curious if this is an alternative!

13. says

This looks really simple but very effective. a gr8 idea for a gift and good value too. Thx so much for linking up to the parenting pin it party this week. xx

14. says

I love hand making gifts, I will have to try my hand at these DIY coasters!

Trackbacks